There is no denying to the fact that in this modern landscape, a significant part of your marketing strategy is based on digital marketing. Virtually all consumers and business are now online and to be able to reach them, effective digital marketing strategies and tactics must be leveraged. This article will talk about two primary sources of digital marketing; Social Media Marketing and Search Engine Optimization. There are a total of 13 digital marketing strategies and tactics for both platforms combined that are highly effective in present times. So without further ado, let’s start with:
Social Media Marketing (SMM):
Social media marketing is growing rapidly, and you can also jump on this bandwagon to harvest excellent results for your business. Besides launching the typical Facebook ads, there are some strategies that you can implement to build a loyal audience on social media:
1) Get More and More Engagement:
In 2018, Facebook announced that they would use meaningful engagement as an essential signal for the prioritization of a post in the News Feed. This means that their algorithm will favor the content that will spark a genuine conversation. So one social media strategy that you need to implement from now is to create more and more engaging content. So you can get more engagement in terms of likes, comments and shares that will ultimately give priority to your post in people’s newsfeeds.
2) Leverage Micro Influencers:
According to Digital Marketing Institute; 49% of the consumers depend on the recommendations from influencers to make a purchase.This means nearly half of the consumers are influenced by influencers and it looks like this number is going to increase in 2019. So why not incorporate influencer marketing in your social media marketing. You can ask the influencers that are relevant to your industry to recommend your product on their social media profile and pages. But, most of the influencers charge a hefty chunk of money to do that. And if you have a small budget, you can use Micro Influencers. They are not celebrities and have a small following (around 40k) but virtually all of their followers are genuinely interested in their posts,and they may have a larger influence on their audience than a big influencer. Plus, they are likely to charge 20x times less than a celebrity influencer.
3) Reach Out To Your Audience Personally:
A personal touch to anything always comes in handy and social media marketing is the same. If you want to win the audience, you need to leverage live streams to talk to your audience face to face. According to Business Insider; live video content receives 10 times more engagement than regular video. This shows how people respond to live streams and if you are talking directly to your audience and responding to their queries, you are likely to get more and more engagement and brand loyalty.
4) Leverage Stories:
If you don’t know, the story is a visual content in a vertical format that usually lasts for about 24 hours. It was first introduced by Snapchat and later on copied by Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and even LinkedIn. According to Statista; There are currently over 400 million people that watch stories on Instagram daily, and Facebook is also trying to integrate stories in people’s daily routines. This shows how impactful stories can be in your social media marketing efforts. You can make use of stories in several ways ranging from promoting an event, Displaying user-generated content, promoting a newsletter, promote your product more creatively, creating polls and contests and so on.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
If Social Media Marketing is a giant, then Search Engine Optimization is a behemoth when it comes to digital marketing. This is because you get highly relevant traffic and if your website gets ranked, you can get a massive amount of traffic for little to no advertising costs. To get a glimpse of the importance of SEO, look at some statistics:
Let’s Look at Some Stats First:
- Google alone gets 3.5 billion searches per day (InternetLiveStats)
- 70 to 80% of users on search engine focus on organic results (HubSpot)
- It’s estimated that the organic search is nearly 5.66 times better than the paid search ads. (HubSpot)
- According to 61% marketers; improving the organic presence is one of their top inbound marketing priorities (HubSpot)
- The SEO industry is estimated to have a worth of $80B by 2020 (Forbes)
Now that you know the power of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) let’s talk about some SEO tactics and strategies that will help your digital marketing efforts.
1) Discover Untapped Keywords:
We all know how important it is to use keywords in the content of your website. While most of the marketers find keywords using different keyword finder tools, the keywords they find are like to be used by many other marketers as well. So how do you find unique keywords that are still untapped? Well, you can use Reddit for this purpose. It is a keyword research goldmine,and many marketers don’t know about it. So to find highly valuable and unique keywords, go to Reddit and go to a subreddit where your target audience hangs out.
For instance, if you need to find keywords for your digital marketing blog, you can type digital marketing in the search bar of Reddit. Now look for terms that are appearing frequently in different threads like if “SEO strategy” is appearing in several different threads, you can take that keyword for your blog. The reason for doing this is because if many people are using that term, there is a possibility that people will be searching Google for that term as well.
2) Publish High-Quality Content:
It’s no secret! The more quality content you post, the more traffic will be coming your way. However, there are tons of websites that want to rank in search results but lack a blog or have very few blog posts. Keep in mind that you are not going to rank with just five pages on your website that list your products only. You need to regularly post blogs on your website to show Google that your website is active. Craft high-quality content that is relevant to your niche and is genuinely targeted towards providing valuable knowledge to people. The more people like the content on your website, the more Google will rank it. Besides, if people like your content, they will also share it which will give you backlinks, thus, more chances of getting ranked. Lastly, make sure to write longer content with in-depth knowledge, the average result on the first page of Google contains 1800 words. (Source: Backlinko)
3) Update Old Blog Posts:
Since we are talking about blog posts, updating your blog posts continually is very important. If you have found something that is worth writing about,but you have posted a similar blog with less information already, update that blog by adding the new information to it. This will have two major benefits. The first is that you will not get into keyword cannibalization where multiple pages are competing for the same keyword,but none of them is ranking. Secondly, your previously written article may already be ranked,so it makes perfect sense to update that one with fresh content to provide updated content to people already visiting that article. According to Orbit ME; Only 55% bloggers update their old posts,and those who do are 74% more likely to see strong results.
4) Install SSL Certificate:
Since 2014, SSL has become an important ranking factor of a website and if you don’t know why then it’s because of security. Due to the rise of cyber crime, people are reluctant to share their sensitive data on a website like personal contact information, an email address or credit card information if you have an e-commerce store. Therefore, installing an SSL is crucial for your ranking.
Tip: You can get a free SSL from CloudFlare.
5) Increase The Speed of Your Website:
Most people don’t know this, but slower websites tend to rank lower in Google search results. The primary reason for it is because Google’s crawlers will not be able to crawl all pages due to the slow speed of the website and that will negatively impact your site’s indexation. Another reason is the bad user experience. Google gives a lot of weight to user experience when it comes to ranking,and if your website is slow, users are likely to close it and not come back which will in result decrease your ranking or not let it go higher from its current rank. So here are a few things to do to increase the speed of your website:
- The first and most important thing to do is to compress your images using any online image compressing tool. This will reduce image loading speed.
- Limit your plugin use. If you have plugins that you rarely use, or they provide very little value, get rid of them. (Tip: Remove your slider because it takes a lot of space, people rarely use it,and it’s annoying as well. Replace it with a static image and a Call-to-Action button).
- Get a better hosting provider to increase your website’s speed. You can use Page Speed Insights to see your server’s response time and if it is over 2.5 seconds, switch to better
- Use CDN if you have a global user base to make your website load faster in areas far away from your server.
6) Interlink Your Pages with Keywords:
Another very effective digital marketing strategy that works best with SEO is to interlink your pages with the keywords in your blog posts. You can add hyperlinks to your products to increase sales. You can also add links to other pages or blog posts that you want to send the traffic to and that will help you rank as well. Just make sure not to stuff unnecessary keywords to force the inclusion of other pages’ links. Decide the keywords to target strategically before writing the blog post and then only use those keywords and link relevant pages to them.
7) Make Your Site Mobile-Friendly:
Google has recently made it clear that mobile responsiveness is one of the major factors behind a site’s ranking. This is because almost 60% of internet access is done with mobile phones (Source: Infront). So if your users see a smooth and mobile-friendly interface of your website, they will not switch to another website for information or shopping which means your website will have low bounce rate (percentage of people navigating away from the website after only viewing one page). And the lower the bounce rate, the higher the chances of getting ranked.
8) Set Up a Google My Business Listing:
If you own a business, you can get a listing on Google that will display your business when someone searches for it or a related query. For instance, if your plumbing business is in California and someone searches “Plumbers in California” there is a good possibility that your business will be shown among other listed plumbing businesses in California. This means you will get traffic even if your website is not ranked well. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Google My Business and create an account.
- Make sure to fill in all the details correctly because Google will ask a lot of details about your business.
- Get some appealing pictures of your business place and put them in your listing to make it easier for the user to find your business.
- Get some reviews from friends and regular customers because reviews are very important for ranking of your local listing.
9) Legally Steal Competitor’s Backlinks:
Backlinking (getting links to your website’s pages from other websites) is the most valued factor by Google when it comes to ranking. But the backlinks must be from relevant sources and should be of high-quality, meaning from reputed websites. And the best way to get well reputed and relevant backlinks is to steal them for your competitors. Here’s what you need to do:
- Search the keyword you want to rank for in Google.
- Gather the top 10 results.
- Check their backlinks through backlink checking tools. There are plenty of tools out there, and you may not find all data at one tool because they have different databases. So use a combination of backlink checkers. Some popular checkers include Ahrefs, MajesticSEO and SEO Spyglass.
- Create a list of competitor backlinks in a text file and save it somewhere.
- Now you need to analyze the backlinks to pick out the best ones. Look for links that have a PR value and are indexed in Google. You can use tools like Rankchecker, Inspyder Backlink Monitor, SEO Spyglass and so on.
- Now open the selected links that you have checked for indexing and see how your competitor got their website’s link on that page. If they got it through a blog comment, simply post your own comment, and if they got it as a guest post, then you need to contact that blog owner to ask for permission to guest post on that blog.
Tip: Create a list of the websites that you used to get backlinks and save it. It might come in handy the next time you need backlinks in the same niche.
These tips are by no means an exhaustive list but implementing 1 or several can be a turning point in your digital marketing efforts. We’ve been in the SEO and digital marketing space for over a decade. If you have questions or need an expert, we’re just an email away. Visit https://www.brightspeedmedia.com for a list of our services.